The shop was built in the 70's. Great uncle Pete and grandpa Norman inhabited the New Orleans area. Pauli's Bicycle and Lawn Equipment was originally located on Magazine Street. This place became a memory for many local residents. I can't count the times I have been told, "That is where I got my first bicycle" or "Pauli's is where my lawn company got its start."
Eventually the business relocated and became the first business on Veterans Boulevard. After several years the companies were growing too much and separated. Great uncle Pete keeping the bicycle portion and grandpa Norman moving the lawn equipment corporation to Lime Street several blocks away.
It started with the Lawnboy lawn mower, hedge clipper, and chainsaw that groomed the city. From contracts with Jefferson and Orleans Parish, to Tulane and Loyola University, and big corporations like Boh Bros. The companies that worked with the cypress and old oak trees that grew from the land of the south.
The Pauli's Lawn Equipment on Lime Street is where my grandfather spent his life. My father began working there when he was about eleven years old. I think he has had one other job in his life! When my grandfather died the business was passed down to my father. He is the only man I know who can listen to a piece of lawn equipment on the opposite side of a fence and say not only what it is but what brand. My father can name the ten, eleven, or thirteen digit numbers that belongs to a single screw and sometimes without even knowing the model, make, and year.
It is rare when I see my dad not in his typical white button down shirt with the stitched "Danny" on the right side and those navy blue pants. Someone once drew a picture of him and titled it lawnmower man. It is posted on his desk. Everyone who is anyone in this business or associated with lawn equipment knows who he is. It is truly amazing (truthfully and sarcastically). The time and effort to make him who he is, are the things I despise.
The lawnmower man has forgotten my birthday numerous times. I have even had to call him and tell demand him take me out to eat. The lawnmower man arrived at my dance recital as I was leaving it. The lawnmower man slept at his desk half of the week while I was growing up. My mom hates the lawnmower man and gave up hope for him a long time ago. My youngest sister barely speaks to the controlling, workaholic lawnmower man.
My father was not lucky enough to bare any boys. Nope, but there was me. The eldest of his daughters who was named after him. "Danny Jr." or "little D" is what he likes to call me. Pauli's lawn equipment was practically my day care growing up. Instead of being given a control car for christmas, I received a green toy Lawnboy mower, child size; it even made the sound of an engine when I pulled the string. Pauli's Lawn Equipment was my play ground. My sisters and I would play hide and seek in the warehouse. Hundreds of equipment boxes make fun hiding places. Fork lifts never cease to amaze me. While other kids had go carts, my father just adjusted the engines on riding lawnmowers and let us race them in the parking lot next door. Pauli's Lawn Equipment was a safe haven. My family always evacuated to the warehouse for bad hurricanes. Pauli's Lawn Equipment was the reason my father was never around.
Pauli's Lawn Equipment was my first job. I was thirteen and my father could not have been happier to have me there. Most of the filthy sweating men that made the door bell ring would marvel at the young girl who could identify a carburetor. However, there were always the men who questioned my female answer and wanted a second opinion.
I have worked at Pauli's Lawn Equipment for most of my life. The customers always ask if I am the third generation and if I am taking the family business. I have done everything from sweep the floor to adjusting chainsaws. I have fallen asleep, head laying flat on the desk, to the sound of an engine in the next room. Rumbling. I have reeked of oil and gas and fooled with carburetor. I know my favorite brand of chainsaw is Stihl, German made. I know the best engine brand is Briggs and Stratton. I know where a muffler, air filter, primer bulb, fuel hose, and spark plug all belong.
Can I inherit this place when at times, I secretly wished it would burn to pieces?
No comments:
Post a Comment